Anyone who has been around a teething baby knows how hard it is to see a child suffering from the pain of their teeth coming in. Options may seem limited when it comes to finding soothing relief, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t natural options available to help lessen the pain.
Clove essential oil has been used for centuries to help with toothaches (which, can sometimes even make a grown adult act like a teething baby), skin infections, digestive upsets, diarrhea, mouth sores and pains, vomiting, warts, macular degeneration, and much more.
It is also antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and supports a healthy immune response, which is why it is one of the key ingredients in dōTERRA’s Protective Blend, On Guard.
Clove essential oil also be very beneficiary when using to cook with. When cooking with clove essential oil, a little goes a long way, so make sure to use the toothpick technique (dip a toothpick in the oil bottle and put in food as opposed to an entire drop from the bottle).
Tips* from dōTERRA on ways to use clove essential oil:
- Dilute 1:1 (1 drop essential oil to 1 drop carrier oil) when applying topically to help avoid skin irritation.
- When you have a toothache, dilute 1:1 and put mixture on a cotton swab. Apply directly on the gums surrounding the infected tooth.
- For a teething baby do the same as above but dilute even more. Test in your mouth first to see how “hot” the mixture is first.
- Place one drop to the back of your tongue to help get rid of a tickling cough.
- Blends well with basil, bergamot, cinnamon, clary sage, grapefruit, lavender, lemon, orange, peppermint, rose, rosemary, and ylang ylang.
- If taken internally, try using in gel caps, or take with honey or put in a drink.
- Put clove and wild orange essential oil in water to help control sugar urges.
- “I used clove a lot when I was quitting smoking. It helps to numb your mouth and throat to substitute for the effects of the nicotine, and it boosts your immunity to help with the detox. It works wonders!” – Amanda Bolles Hendren
- “I use it to help my oldest with his loose teeth. Put a little on his gums and he can pull out his tooth! It’s wonderful.” –Amanda Harrell
- “I use it (diluted of course) on my 18 month old’s gums. He’s teething. He cries and makes a funny face for about 30 seconds and then he forgets that his teeth are even hurting him.” -Cari Dowling
- “I brush my teeth with one drop of clove or on guard everyday. It has taken away toothaches. I love this oil.” -Camille Thompson
- “We love using clove oil as an immune booster. Rub a couple of drops on my kids feet before bed and it helps keep us well. At bedtime, my youngest, often hollers from his room, “mom, it’s time for Christmas feet”!! So cute and they love it, and yes, it definitely smells like Christmas. It’s my favorite oil!” -Carrie Mobley Bentz
- “I use it on my son’s thumbs to remind him not to suck on them, lol! I also use it on his teething pain if it gets bad.” -Annette Fairchild
- “[I] use it in a marinade for ham or pork.” -Janie McDade Hawley
*These statements have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. dōTERRA products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. Pregnant or lactating women and persons with known medical conditions should consult a physician prior to the use of any dōTERRA product. The statements shared from our Facebook page are the personal opinion of independent persons and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of dōTERRA International, LLC.